Disk defragmenter in Linux

Peter Gordon admin at ramshacklestudios.com
Sun Jan 1 10:11:28 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 12:15 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Writes
> also always go through cache and sensible operating systems
> will sort the write-back into seek order to avoid threshing
> the head around in the process.  So, if you think you have
> a speed problem caused by your disk, the quick fix is normally
> to add more RAM.

It iss interesting to note, also, that Ext3's default "ordered" data
writing mode does precisely this, from what I've read. It first
commits the metadata transactions to the journal, then flushes the
data to the disk in large blocks of writes, then commits the journal
transactions to the disk.

Extents-based and delayed write allocation (for on-disk contiguity of
file data) are also being worked on (though, due to possible on-disk
changes of the filesystem format, this could end up becoming "ext4" or
similar). Please see the following page for more information:
<http://ext2.sourceforge.net/2005-ols/paper-html/node18.html>
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
GnuPG Public Key: 0xDA3634D7