is evolution really dependent on spamassassin?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Jan 1 11:35:39 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 04:36 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 11:01 -0500, Amadeus W. M. wrote:
>
> > I haven't checked, but I bet there must be a compile option in the
> > evolution source that allows you to disable spamassassin. If I really
> > wanted to get rid of spamassassin, I'd download the evolution src.rpm,
> > hack it, change the spec file and rebuild it. But probably not worth
> > the trouble.
>
> I'm considering it, because it's taking ages for filtering to complete
> (nothing elaborate, either), and I'm registering DNS look-ups for all
> the addresses in messages.

spamassassin is not a compiled option.
You can nodeps remove it.

rpm --nodeps -e spamassassin

It is required because evolution uses it if you ask evolution to filter
for spam. If you don't ask evolution to filter for spam, it doesn't take
much disk space and doesn't do anything.

I doubt it is spamassassin slowing things down for you if you aren't
doing any spam checking in your filtering.