VG910b display (was Re: VDQ : Error inserting acpi_cpufreq)

Beartooth SenectoFlatuloid beartooth at adelphia.net
Sun Jan 1 14:42:45 UTC 2006

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 00:50:21 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

> Beartooth SenectoFlatuloid wrote:
>
>>         On the current problem machine, I get the error below when I
>> reboot. It follows below "Checking for new hardware" (which gets marked
>> OK)
>>
>> FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq
>> (/lib/modules/2.6.14-1.1653_FC4/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko):No
>> such device.
>

> That's not a problem, your CPU doesn't support frequency control so it
> will run at its usual 233 Mhz or whatever.

OK, many thanks! I'll just ignore it, then.

But it still leaves me with the display problem. If I simply scp my
/etc/X11/xorg.conf from one of the machines that work into the problem
machine, it doesn't work; I log out and back in, and it still doesn't; I
reboot, and the it has to repair my whole X11 -- leaving it still not
right.

If I ssh into the problem machine from one of the ones that work, become
root, and do pico -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf (pico is the only editor I know),
changing the section "Screen" to match what works on one of the others, it
doesn't take, after logout and back in, nor on reboot. (But at least, that
way, it doesn't have to repair X11.)

That is, the entries in the file are changed, but the display isn't right,
and the GUI for setting the display (Main Menu > Desktop > System Settings
> Display) fails to reflect them. It seems addicted to 800x600 a/o 640x480
and 256 colors. But the ViewSonic VG910b is 1280x1024 with millions of
colors.

(It's actually a rich man's monitor, out of my class: a 19" flat panel;
but it was the only one the store had that was listed under the hardware
tab in the GUI for the display. So I choked hard and went back for it.)

If I ssh into the problem machine from one of the ones that work, become
root, do pico -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and change not only the section
"Screen" but also the section "Monitor" to match what works on one of the
others, the result is the same.

Btw, I have one of the ones that work set to the VG910b, 1280x1024, and
millions of colors; it's fine. The other one, an old P2 like the problem
machine, is set to generic LCD 1280x1024 ; it isn't right -- among other
things, the display GUI seems unaware that there is such a setting as
1280x1024 -- but it's usable. There was a time when all these same things
were true, but the present problem P2 was usable, and the one now usable
was the problem. Both were new in 1998, and have had all possible memory
added.

--
Beartooth Oldfart, Double Retiree, Neo-Redneck, Linux Convert
Remember, I have precious little idea what I am talking about.