Rhythmbox and mp3 files

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Jan 1 16:53:58 UTC 2006

I've been trying to get the music player Rhythmbox to play mp3 files.
I've followed the instructions in the FC4 installation notes
(http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html) that
include the following:

"Rhythmbox (Music Player) is the default music player in FC4 but does
not come with MP3 support out of the box because of patent issues. To
enable MP3 support for Music Player configure apt and synaptic as
described above. In Synaptic click on the "reload" icon to update your
package list. Find the gstreamer stuff and click in the checkboxes (then
click "Mark for installation") for each of "gstreamer",
"gstreamer-plugins", "gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio", and
"gstreamer-tools". Click the "Apply" button in Synaptic. You should now
have MP3 support in Rhythmbox (Music Player)."

After doing this, Synaptic shows gstreamer (0.8.10-1) gstreamer-plugins
(0.9.8-9), gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio (0.8.8-2.2.fc4), and
gstreamer-tools (0.8.10-1) all marked as installed.

When I load a CD of mp3 files and have Rhythmbox
import /media/cdrecorder, the mp3 files all show in as dimmed --
suggesting that the player isn't recognizing them as anything it can
play.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed?  Do I need to install more
"gstreamer stuff"?  Googling various combinations of "gstreamer",
"rhythmbox", and "mp3" has left me totally confused as to why this mp3
work-around... isn't working.

Thanks for the help!
Jerry