Rhythmbox and mp3 files

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 1 17:57:25 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 08:53 -0800, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> I've been trying to get the music player Rhythmbox to play mp3 files.
> I've followed the instructions in the FC4 installation notes
> (http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html) that
> include the following:
>
> "Rhythmbox (Music Player) is the default music player in FC4 but does
> not come with MP3 support out of the box because of patent issues. To
> enable MP3 support for Music Player configure apt and synaptic as
> described above. In Synaptic click on the "reload" icon to update your
> package list. Find the gstreamer stuff and click in the checkboxes (then
> click "Mark for installation") for each of "gstreamer",
> "gstreamer-plugins", "gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio", and
> "gstreamer-tools". Click the "Apply" button in Synaptic. You should now
> have MP3 support in Rhythmbox (Music Player)."
>
> After doing this, Synaptic shows gstreamer (0.8.10-1) gstreamer-plugins
> (0.9.8-9), gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio (0.8.8-2.2.fc4), and
> gstreamer-tools (0.8.10-1) all marked as installed.
>
> When I load a CD of mp3 files and have Rhythmbox
> import /media/cdrecorder, the mp3 files all show in as dimmed --
> suggesting that the player isn't recognizing them as anything it can
> play.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to proceed?  Do I need to install more
> "gstreamer stuff"?  Googling various combinations of "gstreamer",
> "rhythmbox", and "mp3" has left me totally confused as to why this mp3
> work-around... isn't working.
----
works for me - I can't get it to play aac/m4a files but that's another
matter...

# rpm -qa|grep gstreamer
gstreamer-plugins-extra-video-0.8.11-0.lvn.2.4
gstreamer-tools-0.8.10-1
gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.8.7-1.2.fc4.rf
gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio-0.8.11-0.lvn.2.4
gstreamer-0.8.10-1
gstreamer-plugins-0.8.8-9

does that look similar to what you have going on? (perhaps you might not
have gstreamer-ffmpeg but that has nothing to do with playing mp3 files.

Craig