Disk defragmenter in Linux

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Sun Jan 1 20:35:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 14:32 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:

> My own experience shows me just that. My /home partition was almost full with
> only 2% freespace. During that time, my Kmail became very slow such as when
> downloading email or when I moved between mail folders. The harddisk was just
> spinning all the time.
> Then I copy all my files and mails from the /home partition and move them all
> to another partition. Then delete them from /home. After that, I copied some
> of the files and mail back to /home in order to keep 20% of /home free. So
> far the performance is ok.

It is a good policy to never exceed 80% usage on any partition,
precisely for performance reasons. I am not certain how much each
filesystem type (Ext2/3, XFS, FAT32) is affected, but 80...85% is a good
number to keep in mind. Exceed it, and the performance usually starts to
drop dramatically.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/