Security question regarding root email

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Sun Jan 1 20:46:31 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 15:37 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I haven't read root's email in about a month. Now that I get around to
> it, I am suprised to see things that I have never seen before

Something that I _always_ do after installing a new system is to
edit /etc/aliases, then go to the end and create a real alias for root:

# Person who should get root's mail
root:          joeblow at email.com

Then run newaliases and reload the MTA (usually Postfix, sometimes
Sendmail).

Perhaps the FC installer should ask the user at some point to redirect
root's email to a real address?
Hmmm, interesting. I'll raise the question on the -dev list.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/