ugrading & reiser

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 1 20:59:15 UTC 2006

Petr Fischer wrote:
> 1) can I upgrade directly from FC3 to FC5?
> 2) can I upgrade FC4 with reiser root file system to FC5 - any problems
> with resier root partition recognition in anaconda?

No. At this moment in time you *cannot* upgrade to FC5.

You should understand that Fedora Core 5 is not yet released. What *is*
released is the first test release for FC5. This is not supposed to work
properly.

Let me rephrase that -- it is expected that there will be problems with
it. One of which is that upgrading isn't implemented (yet).

(I haven't followed whether this is in rawhide / development yet: I
don't think you can reasonably call that "FC5", though).

The announcement is here:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2005-November/msg00064.html
or http://lwn.net/Articles/161398/
It says:
    Beware that Test releases are recommended only for Linux
    experts/enthusiasts or for technology evaluation, as many parts are
    likely to be broken and the rate of change is rapid.

And:
    * Fresh Installs Only
    Upgrades are not supported (or even implemented).  If you want to test
    Upgrade capability, please wait until FC5test2.

If you want to run test releases, please subscribe to the
fedora-test-list and use that.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PostIsOffTopic

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Am I alone in receiving so much junk mail? Can these
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | people not get it into their thick heads that I do not