Is 64 bit Fedora OK? With which CPU?

dondi_2006 dondi_2006 at libero.it
Sun Jan 1 22:28:10 UTC 2006

> > What are right now, if any, the limits I encounter in using
> > Fedora or FOSS in general, if I buy a 64 bit CPU?
>
> None more that you find for 32 bit, with the exception that Flash
> doesn't work.
Doesn't work at all, ie no tricks, hacks, patches....?

> > Also, if there are no traps, what 64 bit CPU do you recommend from the
> > power efficiency point of view? Lower wattage, possibility to run
> > slower when not doing heavy stuff....?
>
> Depends on what you're doing.

Sorry for not being more specific. What I mean is that this will be a home desktop workstation:

1) when I'm *at* the keyboard, doing my usual tasks: OpenOffice, www
   browsing, compiling software, video editing... (no gaming,
   maybe just Celestia, wwww.shatter.net/celestia/) I want it as fast as
   possible, as long as it doesn't require huge/noisy fan(s).

2) When I leave the PC on, but unattended, that is it has _nothing_ to do
   except download email every X minutes, it would be great if it could go
   (even with custom scripting, settings, whatever) in some power saving
   mode where it dissipates as *little* power as possible, both to save
   money and to have it *really* silent!

So maybe the question is now, what is the best 64 bit CPU/Chipset combination for this scenario?

Thanks,
Webber