Another newbie question

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 2 03:25:50 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 19:51 -0700, Craig Cameron wrote:

> The problem this time is the document I'm using advises to put the
> following code in the startup script for the interfaces.It's supposed
> to be for spoofed packekts:
>
> For x in lo eth0 eth1
> Do
> Echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/${x}/rp_filter
> Done
>
> The only startup script I can find that brings up the interfaces is:
> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network

I'd say don't mess with that one.

There are scripts that are run when bringing interfaces up or down, and
they have routines in them to check for additional user scripts.  For
instance, /etc/ppp/ip-up is used to bring up a PPP connection, and once
it's completed it looks to see if there's a user-provided file
at /etc/ppp/ip-up.local, and runs it.

I mention that one because I use it, and know it works.  Looking further
around, I see something that looks similar for *any* interface
at:  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown-post.

If you change their scripts, you'll probably lose your changes after an
update; as well as risk mucking things up.  But if you write your own,
where they go looking for them (as per my PPP one), then you should have
a worry free system.  Have a look through their scripts, and any
documentation, and see if you can find something that looks for a user
script.

I read messages from the public lists.