confused when burning the iso disc...

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Mon Jan 2 05:04:15 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 14:34 +1000, Michael Wright wrote:
> I've very confused when it comes to burning dvd's and software. really
> need help here ? I have extract the file using winrar:

Don't extract anything, just download the ISO file and burn it.

> The files i have is Fedora  Images isolinux whats the software to use
> to burn the disc with ? and what file do i bring in when burning

HOWTO burn the DVD installer image on Fedora Core 4 (maybe also FC3):

Download the FC4-i386-DVD.iso image file. Download the SHA1SUM file in
the same directory, then verify the checksum:

sha1sum -c SHA1SUM

You may get some errors, but as long as FC4-i386-DVD.iso is reported Ok
then all is good.

Run "growisofs" as root to see if it's installed.
If it's not, then install it like this:

yum install dvd+rw-tools

Now figure out which dev file represents your DVD burner. On my system
it's /dev/dvdwriter. On your system it might be different,
e.g. /dev/hdc, /dev/dvd, whatever.
Do a "ls -l /dev/dvd*" or "ls -l /dev/cd*" to see if your system has any
files like that. You'll figure out which one is the DVD writer
eventually.

Now plug a blank DVD into the writer then burn the ISO. Run this command
as root in the directory where you keep the ISO image:

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvdwriter=FC4-i386-DVD.iso

Replace /dev/dvdwriter with something else if your system is different
than mine.

If the burning speed is not optimal and it messes the disk, try again
adding this option: -speed=N (where N is a small value such as 1 or 2,
depending on your media). Or use higher N values to accelerate the
burning, but make sure that both the writer and the disk support it.

That's it.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/