Dell D810 thermal problem ... still

Rod Haper rhaper at houston.rr.com
Mon Jan 2 05:25:07 UTC 2006

Is anyone else running FC4 on a Dell D810 laptop?  I'm still having
problems with thermal shutdown at 40-41 deg C.  i8kmon (and my ears)
confirms that the cooling fan is running at full speed.  If I boot
KNOPPIX, I never have a thermal shutdown even when the temperature goes
as high as 55 deg C for an extended period.  I have not been able to
figure out what KNOPPIX (a Debian derivative) is doing different from
FC4.  I've been struggling with this for over two weeks now and I'm not
any closer to a solution.  I know Dell laptop BIOS and hardware sensors
can be pretty kinky but this is reaching the point of desperation.  Does
anybody have any ideas, suggestions and/or experience with this problem
that can help me get it resolved?

---
Rod