Best/energy efficient CPU/Chipset/Motherboard for 64bit Fedora?

dondi_2006 dondi_2006 at libero.it
Mon Jan 2 10:17:46 UTC 2006

Hello,

thanks to all who quickly answered my question about 64 bit Fedora.
If, as you explained, the only thing missing now is Flash support and
there are no kernel/drivers issues of any kind, I guess it's OK for me.
I had initially thought to Pentium M for the case below, but looks like
some AMD 64 bit chip with the right chipset would be equally good or
better (just tell me if I'm wrong).

As said in previous message, I will need this box for heavy openoffice stuff, web browsing, email plus lots of software compiling and video editing (no gaming). And it's very important to have it always silent,
and using as little energy as possible when not in interactive use.

Now I'd appreciate your help to figure out the best CPU/Chipset/
motherboard mix for the scenario below. Yes, most of the theoretical
info could be found online, but I would really feel better having
feedback from expert Fedora users. Datasheets and reviews tell you
only so much, especially when actual compatibility and real usage
with a given distro are concerned. So, here are the specs:

* MicroAtx (bigger cases would simply not fit in my current space :-( )
* 100% Fedora Linux/FOSS compatible (BIOS included?)
* lowest possible power consumption
* balanced system, that is compensate for not using the fastest possible
  CPU with faster chipset, ram, drives
* possibility to lower clock frequency and/or suspend (SATA) drives when
  nothing heavy is going on, or for regulating fan speed according to
  temperature
* on board audio and video (DVI output would be nice, but not necessary)
* at least 2 GB of RAM (which type is best?)
* PCI express slot(s) in case of future expansions

Thank you so much for your help,

Webber