Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 2 18:37:35 UTC 2006

John Summerfied wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

>>> And despite your "nice tutorial," if I go down to any good bookstore
>>> I will find more books on Borland C.
>>

>> I didn't say otherwise. I don't understand your motive for replying
>> in this way. You made a sweeping statement, which has a definite
>> counterexample. You don't refute the counterexample, yet somehow
>> you seem to think that you have vindicated your statement.
>>
>> Mike
>

> Well, I can't/shouldn't speak to your desires, but the presence of so
> many books suggests that
> a) Publishers see a market
> b) Writers agree
> c) Consumers don't find the standard information meets their desires and
> buy alternative documentation.
>
> If you find the counter example filled your needs, that's fine, but
> there are many who don't find it fills their needs and who purchase
> alternatives.

I wasn't making that claim. I learned C long before I had a copy
of Borland C. I was reacting to the claim that no programming language
comes with a tutorial on the language.

> It happens I used to use Turbo Pascal, and I found it hard going, and I
> was already a competant programmer in several languages, even to the
> extent of presenting training courses on one of them.

I have fond memories of Turbo Pascal, having written an add-on
symbolic source-level debugger and sold a few copies. A great
language. Had no problems learning the language from the TP 3.01a
manual. I learned C from K&R.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.