Is 64 bit Fedora OK? With which CPU?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Jan 2 19:54:21 UTC 2006

| From: Paul F. Johnson <paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk>

|  Running WinXP 64
| is completely pointless as there is no advantage in any way.

I don't think that this is the case.  The larger address space can
make really fat programs wallow better.  Database programs are the
standard example.  You don't even have to have more than 4G of real
memory to see this, but I'm sure that it helps.

Most of the advantage requires the program to be native x86_64.  Not
being a follower of MS Windows, I don't know what MS Windows
applications are available in native x86_64.