Disk defragmenter in Linux

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Jan 2 20:16:20 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 11:46 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 18:27 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> >
> >>What I *did* claim is that ext3 is subject to fragmentation.
> >

> > The "so what" answer is probably the best answer that you're going to
>
> If you actually bothered to read what went before, you'd see
> that is response is malapropos.
>
> [snip]
>
> > I don't worry about fragmentation any more than I worry about other
> > technicalities of how the data is put onto the drive.
>
> Arguing against claims I haven't made.

*sigh*

Not true, Mike.  Both the original poster and you discussed performance:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-December/msg03298.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-December/msg03340.html

and you asserted:

  "Umm, I believe the argument is not that it defrags itself, just
   that the type of fragmentation it enjoys does not affect
   performance. Some sort of fertilizer[*], if you ask me."

So, please come up with some actual measurements that will back up your
"fertilizer" story.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD