Gzip better than Bz2 ? Normal?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 2 22:10:07 UTC 2006

Deron Meranda wrote:
>>It is a theorem that, for any [lossless] compression
>>algorithm which makes the compressed version of some file
>>smaller than the uncompressed version, there is a file for
>>which the compressed version is *larger* than the uncompressed
>>version.
>

> It's also true that the amount of expansion in those cases
> never has to be more than one additional bit.
> --
> Deron Meranda

Umm, I suppose that you mean that there is *another* compression
algorithm which produces, for any file which is actually shrunk,
an output which is the same except for being one bit longer, and
which, for all the files which the original actually grows, produces
an output which is only one bit longer than the uncompressed file.

There are lossless compression algorithms for which what you
said is not true.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.