mail client using squid

Császár Péter csjpeter at freemail.hu
Mon Jan 2 23:36:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:20:01 +0100, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>
wrote:

> Am Mo, den 02.01.2006 schrieb Császár Péter um 22:09:
>
>> I have a simple home-net with a Windows and with a Fedora machine. I am
>> using squid to share the web and ftp. I also like to do so with the
>> outgoind pop3 and smtp accesses. The ports 25, and 110
>> are enabled in squid.conf's acl, but there is no connection when I try
>> setup the client (Outlook) on Windows with the port of squid (3128).
>
>> Peter
>

> I suspect you come from the M$ world, correct?

Yes it is correct. It is only 9 mounts ago I have lived Windows. Such
primitive my question is?

> http://www.squid-cache.org/ is a web proxy (includes FTP protocol too),
> but does not cache or proxy POP3, nor IMAP, nor SMTP.

Yes, really I have read it. But then why are these port enabled by default
in squid.conf?

> What is your intention to with what you describe? There is very
> certainly a solution for your problem, though not with using squid.

There is a need to use mail client program on the client (MS) machine. If
there is an simple enough way, I wouldn't like to enable to a client on my
home-net to connect directly to the internet.

--
Császár Péter