mail client using squid

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Jan 3 00:13:09 UTC 2006

Am Di, den 03.01.2006 schrieb Császár Péter um 0:36:

> > I suspect you come from the M$ world, correct?

> Yes it is correct. It is only 9 mounts ago I have lived Windows. Such
> primitive my question is?

No, not of that kind. It wasn't my intention to say so. But the M$
proxy, and I guess you know that application, is such a multi protocol
internet connection sharing proxy.

> > http://www.squid-cache.org/ is a web proxy (includes FTP protocol too),
> > but does not cache or proxy POP3, nor IMAP, nor SMTP.

> Yes, really I have read it. But then why are these port enabled by default
> in squid.conf?

Hm, that would really surprise me. Where exactly do you see this?

> > What is your intention to with what you describe? There is very
> > certainly a solution for your problem, though not with using squid.
>
> There is a need to use mail client program on the client (MS) machine. If
> there is an simple enough way, I wouldn't like to enable to a client on my
> home-net to connect directly to the internet.

Well, in this regard Linux can be setup differently than Windows. There
is no proxy needed.

http://fedoranews.org/ghenry/gateway/

This is a short instruction set on how to let Linux play the gateway to
the public internet gateway for a private address space LAN. It allows
the clients inside the LAN to directly communicate with the outer space.
Of course you can restrict what the clients can see and do by adjusting
the iptables firewalling rules.
That is certainly what you need to setup for your router/gateway and the
LAN clients.

> Császár Péter

On the other hand, if you really need a caching IMAP/POP3 proxy there is
up-imapproxy within Fedora Extras. A different powerful IMAP/POP3 proxy
is perdition.

Alexander

Serendipity 01:00:50 up 29 days, 5:37, load average: 0.62, 0.36, 0.28