Access Old Home Directory - USB enclosure - LVM

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jan 3 04:20:47 UTC 2006

Robert L Cochran wrote:

> [...]
>>

>>> I then unplugged the USB cable for my 60 Gb drive and re-plugged it
>>> in. Executing 'lvm lvscan' then got me this output:
>>>
>>> /dev/sdb1: open failed: no such device or address
>>> /dev/sdb2: open failed: no such device or address
>>> /dev/sdb3: open failed: no such device or address
>>

>> /dev/sdb3 seems to be where your LVM is located.
>>

>>> ACTIVE 'dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00' [370.53 GB] inherit
>>> ACTIVE 'dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01' [1.94 GB] inherit
>>>
>>> Question: should I have manually mounted the partitions before
>>> issuing 'lvm lvscan'?
>>

>> I am not sure if it is possible to mount a partition with lvm volumes
>> on it. I would imagine that filesystem is not correct would result
>> from attempting to mount /dev/sdb3.
>>

>>> ************ (Removed rescue CD, boot back into Fedora Core 4 on new
>>> system) ************
>>>
>>> I then read the entire LVM how-to for lvm2 on tldp.org. It doesn't
>>> offer practical advice for this situation -- rescuing data from an
>>> older lvm-based system.
>>

>> Go figure, real life situations never seem to match intended use for
>> systm designs.
>>

>>> I also read 'man lvm', with no better results.
>>>
>>> I then checked Bugzilla. There are 124 (or is it 125?) bugs listed
>>> for LVM.
>>>
>>> It is looking more and more like I'll need to take out my 400 Gb
>>> drive and substitute my 60 Gb drive/120 Gb drive, and boot into that
>>> system, all to recover a little more data. Perhaps I need to quit
>>> using LVM.
>>

>> Not adding a detour to those that use LVM, but adding a "me too" to
>> LVM usage.
>> If you do have to take drastic measures and re-install the drive from
>> the USB enclosure, add this fact to the list. I did get this to work
>> for once and recovered data from the drive contained in the USB
>> enclosure. I really don't recall the exact steps that I took to get
>> at the drive. It mounted and I did retrieve the information from the
>> drive.
>>
>> Since you have LVMs on your new system also, probably the
>> dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 identity is the same for both disks. It might
>> have worked for me because I had no new LVMs on the running system.
>>
>> Give system-config-lvm a try and see if you can manipulate the USB
>> drive on a running system. If not, you may be out of luck and need to
>> swap the drive out and backup your desired information onto a DVD or
>> other media.
>>
>> I'm sure the information is on the LVM, but in what format, I don't
>> know. (dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 also or different)
>>
>> Jim
>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Bob Cochran
>>>

> To continue the saga, I took my machine apart to investigate this and
> spent part of the evening swapping drives in and out. I really feel
> like I'm paying big for not understanding how LVM works -- and
> remaining in blissful ignorance for a couple of years, too.

Too bad Filipe is not active on the list. He seemed to know pretty much
about it. I should become more familiar with the workings of LVM also.
However, I deserted the concept  and went with traditional partitioning.

> My Asrock motherboard has an option for booting from USB, so I tried
> to boot my 60 Gb drive from USB (in order to avoid taking it out of
> the external enclosure.) This gave me a black screen with these letters:
>
> LI

USB support for drives was not setup in Fedora/Redhat yet. There has to
be USB drivers added to the initrd before it will boot. With USB support
in BIOS, you are OK until the kernel takes over from BIOS. After the
kernel starts to search for drives, no drives are found because of the
chicken or egg syndrome. USB devices are needed before the USB drives
are detected.

> I have some memory that this is the word LINUX and how many letters of
> the word are spelled out on the screen indicate something about the
> nature of the boot problem. No doubt, to boot from USB, I need code
> that can speak USB-ese. So much for this option.
>
> I took the drive out of the enclosure, and connected it to the
> motherboard's SATA connector (There are 3, and I used the one numbered
> SATA1.) I When I turned on the power, the exprected GRUB screen came
> up, and when I booted the 1653 kernel, a kernel panic resulted. I got
>
> Unable to find volume group  "VolGroup00"

Do you have all the drives in the computer, the new system and the drive
from the USB enclosure?
I am not sure what your actual setup is.

Rescue discs are starting to sound appropriate now.

> So now I'm confused. It looks to me like Grub is installed on my 60 Gb
> drive (that's why I got the nice splash screen) but the actual volume
> group is defined on my 120 Gb drive? This 120 Gb physical drive is (or
> was) really an older system. I thought I had one system installed on
> each of two different drives.  I thought the 60 Gb drive was devoted
> to Fedora Core 4 and the 120 Gb drive was an older release, Fedora
> Core 3.

With the LABEL and the way different BIOS versions work, it is easy to
become confused on what device is the actual booting device.

--
Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.