mail client using squid

Császár Péter csjpeter at freemail.hu
Tue Jan 3 09:43:28 UTC 2006

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 01:13:09 +0100, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>
wrote:

> Am Di, den 03.01.2006 schrieb Császár Péter um 0:36:
>>> I suspect you come from the M$ world, correct?
>> Yes it is correct. It is only 9 mounts ago I have lived Windows. Such
>> primitive my question is?
> No, not of that kind. It wasn't my intention to say so. But the M$
> proxy, and I guess you know that application, is such a multi protocol
> internet connection sharing proxy.

Actually I haven't used MS proxy, and didn't mean your word as offense.

>>> http://www.squid-cache.org/ is a web proxy (includes FTP protocol too)
>>> but does not cache or proxy POP3, nor IMAP, nor SMTP.
>> Yes, really I have read it. But then why are these port enabled by
>> default
>> in squid.conf?
>
> Hm, that would really surprise me. Where exactly do you see this?

It is and so was originally in /etc/squid/squid.conf.default :

# ACCESS CONTROLS
#

#  TAG: acl
.
.
.
#Examples:
#acl macaddress arp 09:00:2b:23:45:67
#acl myexample dst_as 1241
#acl password proxy_auth REQUIRED
#acl fileupload req_mime_type -i ^multipart/form-data$
#acl javascript rep_mime_type -i ^application/x-javascript$
#
#Recommended minimum configuration:
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
acl manager proto cache_object
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8
acl SSL_ports port 443 563
acl Safe_ports port 80		# http
acl Safe_ports port 21		# ftp
acl Safe_ports port 443 563	# https, snews
acl Safe_ports port 70		# gopher
acl Safe_ports port 210		# wais
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535	# unregistered ports
acl Safe_ports port 280		# http-mgmt
acl Safe_ports port 488		# gss-http
acl Safe_ports port 591		# filemaker
acl Safe_ports port 777		# multiling http
acl CONNECT method CONNECT

--
Császár Péter