YUM problem on new FC4 installation

Alessandro Brezzi alessandro.brezzi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 09:57:28 UTC 2006

Hi

2006/1/3, fredex <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>:

> Hi Gang!
>
> I've got a brand new FC4 installation. Trying to use yum (or up2date)
> to import and install all the updates since the release.
>
> Either program will run for a while then hang. for, like, 2 hours until
> I kill it. When hung it consumes 80-90% of the CPU but does nothing
> obviously productive.
>
> Is this a known issue? if so can anyone suggest a fix/workaround for it?
>
> thanks!

If you made a full install, expect about 1,6GB of update to be downloaded
and installed. This can lead to a critical situation.
When I've made a similar job I've used this approach:
1- yum update yum
    this is the first thing to be sure yum is correct
2- yum update kernel*
    just to download the latest kernel
3- yum update xorg*
    the x11 part
4- yum update gnome* kde*
5- yum update gcc*
6- reboot
    to use the new kernel/xorg etc
7- yum check-update | tee myup2date | wc
    to have a list of package to be updated
8- vim myup2date
    see how many packages you have to upgrade and try to update group of
them (yum
    update pref* as per yum update mysql* or yum update ooffice*)

Be carefull to update for limited batch of packages; if you are updating an
x86_64 mach, many package come in the double arch i386 and x86_64. In some
situation the rpm can be confused in updating this. Updating a small set of
package can be usefull to fix this problems (for me: perl, cups and some
other package)

HTH

--
Alessandro Brezzi