FC4 booting problem?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 3 06:56:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 22:00 -0700, under.actuate at gmail.com wrote:
> 2 hard drives:
> - The first is dedicated to Windows XP.
> - The second is partitioned so that Fedora Core 4 is at the front and
> extra space is given for Windows at the back.
>
> While I installed FC4, I made sure to set FC4 as the default boot.  So
> I expected it to boot after the system was rebooted.  But, Windows
> automatically boots.  Do you have any ideas what the problem could be?

You have to install the GRUB bootloader onto the drive that the BIOS
boots from.  It sounds like you've installed it to the second (Linux)
drive, and the PC BIOS is booting from the first one (continuing to boot
Windows, as it previously did).

You can read the grub info file to find the instructions for
re-installing it to a particular drive.  Post back if you need further
assistance.

I read messages from the public lists.