Games

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 13:44:04 UTC 2006

Ali Helmy wrote:
> So is there some way I can find good games (not just 10-20MB crap) that I
> can play on my FC machine? Or do I have to keep FC for work only on my
> laptop, and the AWFUL WinXP for gaming on my gaming machine?

If you're interested in old-fashioned point-and-click adventure games
like Monkey Island, then "Beneath a Steel Sky" is available (package
name bass) from livna. This was a commercial game that has been released
as freeware by its authors.

It uses the scummvm package (also available from livna: not sure why
this isn't part of Extras, since it's GPL) which provides the "engine"
for the game.

BASS, Monkey Island, and a number of other similar games were written
for various "virtual machines" that provide most or all of the
programming. The rest of the game is data: sound files, picture files,
dialogue, and scripting that ties the lot together. ScummVM emulates
several of these virtual machines. You need a copy of the data to
actually run the game: as I say, the BASS data is freeware. Several
other games are in the process of being made available for ScummVM:
http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Discworld
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Kyra

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Does exactly what it says on the tin." ...
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | I've got a tin at home: it says "Open other end".