ssh security

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 13:44:31 UTC 2006

Jeff Vian wrote:
> http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~greg/sshdfilter/
>
> I use it on several servers and it works really well to detect and block
> attacks.
> With it an attempt to login with an unknown account gets instantly
> blocked, and with a known account (root or some other user) they only
> get 6 attempts before it is blocked.

That sounds worthwhile for a computer that only has SSH open to the
network.

However, do be aware that this can confirm to attackers that an account
is "valid", which could be useful knowledge in other attacks.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Say it with flowers, send a triffid.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |