ICH6M SATA and poor optical drive performance

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jan 3 16:10:56 UTC 2006

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> Øyvind Stegard wrote:
>

> I've read on the web that you can enable atapi (for 2.6.14) without patching
> the source by using the kernel param atapi_enabled=1 or
> libata.atapi_enabled=1.  The former works for some people and the latter
> works for others...still neither work for some people:
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/5836
>
> Those people in that thread are simply using the kernel param without having
> to recompile the kernel with this part of your patch:
> -#undef ATA_ENABLE_PATA
> +#define ATA_ENABLE_PATA
>
> Maybe that's why it doesn't work for some people...?
>
> One last thing, I've had bad luck compiling vanilla kernels from kernel.org
> in the past.  They compiled and booted fine, but my system was extremely
> sluggish while running them.  Since then, I've only been compiling what
> Redhat makes available to in via the kernel-{version}.src.rpm
> packages...and a 2.6.14 kernel src rpm package isn't available for FC3 yet.
> Any tips on getting a vanilla kernel running up to speed?
>

>>Øyvind
>

> Thanks for the reply and help,
> -- Christopher
>
> P.S.  My machine is a Dell Inspiron 6000d laptop if it matters.

For what it is worth on this matter.  I have a Toshiba laptop with the
same chipset and had the same issues.  With the latest kernel and
libata.atapi_enabled=1 in the modprobe.conf file, my laptop works as
expected.  Can watch DVD's on the drive with no issues and is
recognized as /dev/sdc.  Good work developers.

I didn't do anything else.  The day I sat down to work on it over the
Xmas break, I found that all was well.  My wife is a very happy person
which makes me happy.