k3b, kde frustrations - venting.

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jan 3 16:19:28 UTC 2006

Amadeus W. M. wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:55:10 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
>

>>I usually am very happy and can easily point out the virtues of Linux
>>over Windows.  Come today and I find that I am hit with this k3b, kde
>>problem and it dumps me in a major mess.
>>
>>I need to copy 3 DVD and I cannot get k3b to do it.  It won't eject
>>the media.  Crashes each time I try to burn an image and I am in a
>>rush as this had to be done before lunch in 10 minutes.
>>
>>As I try to burn just the files, I get a Error every time.
>>
>>It gets to Updating RMA
>>Then I get growisofs did not exit cleanly.
>>
>>While copying the CD's, it would give me an error that it cannot eject
>>the media after reading the CD.  Of course this is the same if I try
>>to copy a DVD.
>>
>>Now that I vented, have a
>>
>>    Merry Christmas :)
>

> That's not how you copy a dvd in a hurry. At a command prompt, as root,
>
> dd if=/dev/dvd of=dvdcopy.iso
> cdrecord dev=/dev/dvd dvdcopy.iso
>
> No need for mkisofs. If you have 2 dvd drives, you can pipe the output of
> dd directly to cdrecord.
>
> This works both for data and for e.g. movies (unencrypted!).
>
> Similarly for cds.
>
> Regardless, can't be done in 10 minutes.

For what it is worth, this was a rush job and I followed the routine
that I had done in the past.  I needed to make multiple copies and in
the past I just used k3b to copy the iso to the HD and then make the
number of copies I needed.

I had the same error making a new DVD at home with k3b over the Xmas
break.  I will have to try some more before filing a bug.

These were all data disks produced at work.  They needed to be ready
before lunch.

I will keep this idea handy for future reference.