Wireless encryption that works on both Windows and FC3

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jan 3 16:20:34 UTC 2006

Tarek Aly wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a complete newbie and I've been trying to get my wireless network up and
> running on FC3 (after I gave up on FC4 I had to downgrade).
>
> I reached the point where I could connect to my AP when encryption is
> disabled. When enabling encryption, the only way I can connect is when I use
> a 64 bit key (I have to mention here that I'm surprised there's no way from
> the GUI to specify the encryption mode).
>
> Now my problem is, Windows only allows, AFAIK, another encryption mode which
> uses ASCII keys and does not have the 64 bit key scheme as an option.
I've not configured many Windows boxes, none at all recently, but I
think Windows works out what kind of key you're using from its length:
five characters is 40 (64) bits etc.

In Linux one generally sets an ascii key by prefixing it with "s:" so
s:passt

Again, it's quite a while since I configured Wireless on FC, and it's
likely I modified it with vim.

> So, currently, whenever I switch from Windows to Linux, I have to connect
> through a network cable to my AP to re-configure encryption. Is there a way
> around this problem?
>
> Every help is appreciated.
>
> P.S. How can I search the archives of this list?

Navigate from the unsubscribe address at the foot if every email.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait