Disk defragmenter in Linux

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Jan 3 21:44:40 UTC 2006

I have held off making didactic comments on this topic but
de-fragmenting a Unix or Linux file system just is not the way the
filesystem was supposed to work. 5%-10% of the disk is set aside so
that files are re-written in this buffer before writing to the disk,

No program is ever going to able to guess whether two different files
are supposed to near each other on the disk.

When you do a fsck on a disk you discover how much fragmenting there
is and it usually rather minimal.

Now I expect to hear from the de-fragmenting people but such is life.

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484