Best/energy efficient CPU/Chipset/Motherboard for 64bit Fedora?

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Tue Jan 3 22:59:15 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:

>On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 11:17 +0100, dondi_2006 wrote:
>

>>And it's very important to have it always silent
>>

>I think that sort of thing's more a case of looking into alternative
>cooling technologies.  Quieter fans than the usual crap, different heat
>sinks that don't depend so much on fans, things that don't actually
>require fans, etc.
>
>It's going to get harder as CPU speeds go up, and software bloats to
>accommodate it.  It, unavoidably, means more heat.
>
>I have an old 500 MHz box that's almost silent, and without having to do
>much handiwork to the box to achieve it (one quiet fan in the box, with
>home made ducting to aim it right on the hot spot).  I think that
>vintage gear is about the last range of gear that was easy to do that
>with.

I suggested to a couple of companies that do ODM/OEM designs like DFI,
Viatech, Commell, LogicPD, Shuttle, and Biostar that a mini-ITX board
with a Turion-64 and the VIA north/south-bridge chipsets would be a seller,
but none of them seem interested.

I guess part of the problem is that AMD doesn't see the need for a low-power
AMD64 solution for non-laptop applications... which means that the Turion-64
might be priced right for laptops, but is too expensive for mini-ITX
applications
like the hushPC. (I.e. there is no "embedded" marketing drive for the
AMD64.)

At 16W, with the entire case being the heatsink (as the Serener GS-01
does)...
you're at the limit in what can be done fanless...  Heatpipes or water pumps
with the external case being the radiator is an under-exploited solution...

-Philip