Manual Registration Comcast High Speed Internet in Fedora 4

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Jan 3 23:26:40 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 04:22:57PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
 > On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 15:16 -0800, Min Chen wrote:
 > > Hi, I just ordered Comcast high speed internet service and got
 > > self-installation kit from Comcast.  Comcast tech support told me that
 > > they don't support Linux.   I googled internet and got only two posts
 > > on the related topic but don't provide details.
 > >
 > > Could anyone provide any help on this?
 > ----
 > should just work - plug the modem in, register it with the cable company
 > - normally the network adaptor on your computer would get an ip address,
 > subnet mask, gateway address and dns server addresses from the cable
 > modem.

Depends. The first modem I got from comcast wouldn't do squat until
I went through the 'registration cd install'.  Trying to get a dhcp lease
from Linux did nothing.  After installing it on a windows box, Linux
was able to get a lease.

Shortly afterwards that modem died horribly. The replacement I got
was a different model (a Motorola) and 'just worked' with no messing around.

		Dave