Manual Registration Comcast High Speed Internet in Fedora 4

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Wed Jan 4 00:13:35 UTC 2006

Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 18:26 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
>
>> Depends. The first modem I got from comcast wouldn't do squat until
>> I went through the 'registration cd install'.  Trying to get a dhcp lease
>> from Linux did nothing.  After installing it on a windows box, Linux
>> was able to get a lease.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, Comcast remembers your last MAC address and won't
> let you change the network card - if you register with one card, it
> won't work with another (unless you change the MAC).

The modem is that thing that remembers, the fix is to power down
the modem and power it up. Then the first MAC to hit it will be the
one it remembers. That's why it's a good idea to have a NAT box
sit between your home network and the cable (there are other benefits
too).

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site