Manual Registration Comcast High Speed Internet in Fedora 4

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Wed Jan 4 02:51:23 UTC 2006

Dave Jones wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 04:22:57PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 15:16 -0800, Min Chen wrote:
> > > Hi, I just ordered Comcast high speed internet service and got
> > > self-installation kit from Comcast.  Comcast tech support told me that
> > > they don't support Linux.   I googled internet and got only two posts
> > > on the related topic but don't provide details.
> > >
> > > Could anyone provide any help on this?
> > ----
> > should just work - plug the modem in, register it with the cable company
> > - normally the network adaptor on your computer would get an ip address,
> > subnet mask, gateway address and dns server addresses from the cable
> > modem.
>
>Depends. The first modem I got from comcast wouldn't do squat until
>I went through the 'registration cd install'.  Trying to get a dhcp lease
>from Linux did nothing.  After installing it on a windows box, Linux
>was able to get a lease.
>
>Shortly afterwards that modem died horribly. The replacement I got
>was a different model (a Motorola) and 'just worked' with no messing around.
>
>		Dave

This was exactly my install experience with Verizon. I had to get it set
up with a Windows-based notebook, and the Verizon installation program
installed tons of crap on the notebook. After the account was activated,
it worked just fine with Linux.

Now my mother-in-law is using Fedora Core 4.

Bob Cochran