Manual Registration Comcast High Speed Internet in Fedora 4

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Jan 4 06:56:47 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 15:41 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 18:26 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
>
> > Depends. The first modem I got from comcast wouldn't do squat until
> > I went through the 'registration cd install'.  Trying to get a dhcp lease
> > from Linux did nothing.  After installing it on a windows box, Linux
> > was able to get a lease.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, Comcast remembers your last MAC address and won't
> let you change the network card - if you register with one card, it
> won't work with another (unless you change the MAC).
>
> Maybe it depends on the location? I'm in Mt. View, CA.

Some Linksys routers allow you to set the MAC address.

I've got cox cable - they also required a PC or Mac to set up - but they
don't do self install. They send a guy out to do it.

Once the cable modem is verified, any OS can use it just fine.

In my case, mac address doesn't seem to matter - initial setup used my
laptop running XP SP 2 at the time. As soon as he left, it switched to a
Linksys wireless router - which worked. Then later I switched it to a
Vonage router (the linksys wireless would lock up during BT - causing
loss of phone service) and that worked just fine (BT is fine too, since
my BT machine isn't wireless)