Disk defragmenter in Linux

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Jan 4 18:58:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 09:39 +0100, Hans Kristian Rosbach wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 10:48 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > /home usually gets very fragmented, indeed.
> > That's usually taken care of when you're going to the next Fedora
> > release. One more reason to backup/format/reinstall instead of upgrade.
>
> If that is the schedule I suggest we start pumping out FC releases every
> 3 months instead so we can catch up with the fragmentation issue.
> Oh, and state this as a reason not to use the FC upgrade feature.

What I implied was the opposite.

I did not say that releasing new FC versions is the solution to the
fragmentation problem.
I said that an OS upgrade is a good opportunity to get rid of the
entropy that accumulates on the disk, fragmentation being just one
aspect. But it's not so bad as to require an aggressive OS upgrade
policy.

opportunity versus requirement - see the difference?

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/