gnome installation

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jan 5 11:33:51 UTC 2006

azeem ahmad wrote:
>> From: Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
>> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>> Subject: Re: gnome installation
>> Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 13:13:48 +0000
>>
>> azeem ahmad wrote:
>>
>>> hi list
>>> i have a machine on which only Command Line Interface is installed,
>>> its RHEL4, no GUI is installed on that machine, now i want to add
>>> G-Nome to my packages so i can use GUI, in GUI interface gnome
>>> provides with "add/remove applications" how i can use this
>>> "add/remove applications" in CLI or any other utility to
>>> automatically add all required packages for gnome
>>

>> # up2date --nox --install system-config-packages
>>
>> should be enough to provide the "Add/Remove Programs" tool and all of
>> its dependencies (but not all of Gnome).
>>
>> However, in future I would suggest asking RHEL questions on the
>> appropriate list, which isn't this one (which is a Fedora list).
>>
>> Paul.
>
> welll
> but this up2date is for downloading the packages from internet while i
> want to do this upgrade through CDs, like in GUI it asks for CD2,Cd3 Cd4
> to update the system is there any such facility on CLI

There are a couple of approaches you could take. If you have lots of
disk space, the easiest way to do this is actually to copy the CDs to
your hard disk (either as images, loopback mounting them, or by copying
their contents) and then set up a local yum repository, which you can
then use with up2date.

If you're short of disk space but you have some elsewhere on your
network, you could do the same thing on the machine with more disk space
and then set up an ftp or http server on that machine to serve the yum
repository.

The hard way is to do this all manually, by using rpm to install each
package, installing each required dependency package when rpm tells you
about it. A useful tool to have when doing this is "whichcd", which is
included in the "comps-extras" package (CD2 on RHEL4).

[root at rhel4]# /usr/share/comps-extras/whichcd.py system-config-packages
system-config-packages-1.2.23-1.noarch.rpm is on disc 2

(mount disc 2)

# rpm -Uvh
/media/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/system-config-packages-1.2.23-1.noarch.rpm

(repeat for any required dependencies until this step works)

> and sorry list, if u felt i shouldnt post here, in fact i m a student
> and i work on different platforms, which include Fedora, RHEL, Redhat
> Linux 9 and Windows.
> my same question is for Fedora 4/2 and RedHat Linux 9 as well

Similar principles apply but the commands may be different. "yum" is a
useful tool that works across the RHL9/Fedora distributions and is the
preferred dependency-solving and package installation tool. See
http://www.fedoralegacy.org/docs/

Paul.