Mail Solution Information

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Jan 5 12:18:10 UTC 2006

mohd.khalid at utitsl.co.in wrote:

> We are Planning to Install Mail Server in our Office
> I want to know Which Mail Server is Bettter

> 1.Lotus Notes

Evil proprietary crud.  Caused extreme vendor lockin mentality at a
company I used to work for, their website was done with the same tools, etc.

> 2.Sendmail

Not evil but convoluted and old.  Postfix seems to be a good replacement.

> 3. Qmail

Only available cooked from source "to prove you are worthy", and cooking
it is nontrivial.  I guess running qmail is an impressive statement, but
Postfix seems fine and is binary packaged as part of Fedora.

> 4. MS-Exchange

Evil proprietary crud.

> 5. Group Wise Mail Server Solution

Don't know anything about it, but... come closer, child... sniff sniff
yes I can smell the Evil Propietary crudness.

Postfix is a pretty good solution I guess if your office is not huge,
but that is one piece of the jigsaw... if you use IMAP for example you
can choose between Dovecot and other IMAP servers.  Postfix+Dovecot
works okay to start with anyway.

-Andy