kino, is it working ?

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Thu Jan 5 13:05:35 UTC 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 12:44, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> > See if Cinelerra is any better:
> >
> > http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

Well, being busy for some time now I can tell that dvgrab can capture my
streams. Cinelerra can read the streams and render them into some other
format (but none useful to me it seems or I can't find how). Kino still
doesn't work and I think that's going to be a long story before it will work
on my system.
Cinelerra can't capture because of some stupid naming issue. It
complaines /dev/dv1394 is a directory (which is true :-) ). It expects the
device file there and it seems hard coded in cinelerra (as far as I can
tell).

LiVES (http://lives.sourceforge.net/) was actually the only application that
captured straight away from the DV camera. Unfortunately all frames are mixed
up :-(
Anyway, this application might have some future. I do like it's straight
forward interface ("file->import from device -> Import from Firewire camera",
how much clearer can it get ?).
Cinelerra is a very nice application but perhaps a bit too much for the
average user who just want to convert their DV tapes to DVD with a bit of
editing.
Previously I had experienced that kino worked very well (older version) on my
32bit laptop. Now it's a straight no-go on my 64bit machine.

If there are any other tools, I'd be interested to hear about them.

Regards,
Marcel