YUM problem on new FC4 installation

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Thu Jan 5 14:27:00 UTC 2006

fredex wrote:

>I started doing the steps above. I got down to step 4 and it hung for
>a loooooong time and (my memory getting a bit fuzzy here) I think it
>died (or I killed it eventually). Then I tried just updating gnome*
>and it got a segfault so I tried again and it just hung. Eventually I
>tried removing the rpm database and doing rpm --rebuilddb but that
>hangs more or less forever (overnight) with nothing visible happening.
>
>Have I, perhaps, got some locks set on rpm or yum that I need to
>clear? I didn't find anything that leaped out at me.
>
>I'm leaning towards blow it all away and do it again, but am willing
>to try other things should suggestions arise.
>
>Fred

Hey, Fred

It looks like you have tried everything that should fix the problem. I
have seen the exact same behavior you have described, (yum and rpm both
hang, rebuilddb does not finish) and it ended up being a nfs appliance
box. As soon as I unmounted the filesystems on this nfs box, rpm and yum
started working again. Do you have have any tape drives, nfs mounted
filesystems, or extra disks? If so, you might try taking them out of the
picture and see if rpm behaves as it should.