Merging two rpms

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jan 5 14:32:29 UTC 2006

Paul Smith wrote:
> On 1/5/06, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
>
>>>Is there some way of merging two rpms into a single one?
>>
>>Just curious, but why would you want to do this?
>

> I agree, Paul, that my question may sound somewhat heterodox. However,
> the idea came to me when I tried to create a rpm of the last version
> of tovid:
>
> http://tovid.berlios.de/
>
> To create the rpm of the main part of tovid, I followed the usual
> procedure (configure --> make --> checkinstall), but there was another
> part of tovid, written in python, that I had to install too. The
> creation of the respective rpm (of that second part of tovid) had to
> follow a different procedure (specific to software written in python).
> Then I thought that it would be convenient to have the whole tovid in
> a single rpm, which motivated my question.

Given that the whole thing is architecture-independent (it's all done in
scripting languages, calling up other tools), there's no reason why it
shouldn't all be in the same package, and the presence of SUSE RPM
packages linked from the project's website confirms this. I'm not sure
why the presence of python bits should be a problem for checkinstall,
not being a checkinstall user, but a hand-crafted RPM containing
everything should certainly be possible.

Paul.