updates - which files to grab

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jan 5 14:59:18 UTC 2006

Bob Hartung wrote:
> Hi all,
>   Perhaps a dumb question but here goes:
>
>   The FC4 updates lists the following, as an example:
>
>   perl-5.8.6-16.fc4.i386.rpm
>   perl-5.8.6-18.i386.rpm
>   perl-5.8.6-22.i386.rpm
>
>   While it is clear that 5.8.6-22 supersedes 5.8.6-18, do both supersede
> 5.8.6-16.fc4.  In other words, do I simply ignore the .fc4 addition to
> the file naming?

As far as rpm versioning is concerned, the order you have shown is
"oldest" at the top and "newest" at the bottom. The .fc4 suffix would
only be checked if everything before it was the same, e.g. if you had:

perl-5.8.6-16.fc3.i386.rpm
perl-5.8.6-16.fc4.i386.rpm

So perl-5.8.6-22.i386.rpm would be the one you'd want.

Paul.