Cannot login as root in terminal

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Jan 5 15:08:21 UTC 2006

Jon Jahren wrote:

> Thanks! I ran chmod 4755 and changed the owner to root, and now it works
> again! Which means I can finally stop having to gnome sessions open.

As Alessandro and Paul point out, it's rather curious that it has a
radically larger length and appears to be owned by your normal user.
Did you make and install your own coreutils with debug info?

su is a natural target for someone who has control over your machine
with user credentials but who wishes to have root powers.

What does

# rpm -q coreutils
# rpm -qV coreutils

say?