unbelievably stupid mistake - i broke /usr/lib need help

Alastair McKinley amckinley03 at qub.ac.uk
Thu Jan 5 21:10:07 UTC 2006

>Alastair McKinley wrote:
>

>Hi everyone,
>

>     I made a really daft mistake and deleted a lot of files in
>     /usr/lib. Im not sure how many I have deleted. I was trying to
>     delete a linux rootfs on an SD and thought I was in
>     /media/usbdisk/usr/lib, clearly I wasnt. You would think I should
>     know better this is at least the third time I have done something
>     like this. My laptop is still up and running, can anyone give me
>     any ideas on a way to fix all my broken libraries?
>
>Can yum do it?
>
>Please help me!
>
>Best regards,
>
>Alastair
>

>If rpm is still working.
>
>rpm -Va could be used to give you a list of damaged packages.
>

> In your /var/cache/yum/{repo} you will have the updated rpms that you
> could re-install many of the damaged packages with.

Thanks for the advice Robin.

Now I've just discovered rpm is broken. Missing dependency is
librpm-4.4.so or something.

Could I maunally reinstall libraries to get rpm working again and then
try that?

If this is possible where could I get the right copy of the shared
libraries?

I dont have the install discs anymore, the sysadmin installed it, so I'm
downloading the fc4 iso's now just incase they might help.

I'm quite distraught... my last resort is taking it back to my sysadmin
who unfortunately has the bios password.
I will quite happily spend a week reinstalling stuff to avoid that!!

Alastair (weeping silently into laptop)