Amatuar LVM creation and activation

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Jan 6 05:22:52 UTC 2006

Since there were discussions regarding problems with LVMs, I decided to
create one on a USB drive. I was able to create, format and activate it
using system-config-lvm. Anyway, the order for the commands to activate,
find out what to mount the volume as is a bit out of order than what I
posted before. My shell commands are posted below. Test data was loaded
after system-config-lvm  selected the volume name and lvm parameters,
drive was formatted and mounted on selected mountpoint. After rebooting
the below steps were needed.

Step 1: - activate all lvm partitions.
 vgchange -ay
  1 logical volume(s) in volume group "vgpicts" now active

Step 2: - scan to find out what the volume is called so it can b
mounted, pictures was what I decided to go with.
[root at cornette-lt ~]# lvscan
  ACTIVE            '/dev/vgpicts/pictures' [37.00 GB] inherit

Step 3: - take the information from the output of lvscan and use it to
mount it on your desired location. I picked /home/jim/lvm-test
[root at cornette-lt ~]# mount /dev/vgpicts/pictures /home/jim/lvm-test

Step 4: change to where lvm was mounted, check for data contained on
lvm. Information confirms lvm is accessible on reboot.
 ~]# cd /home/jim/lvm-test
lvm-test]# ls
jim  lost+found
[ lvm-test]# cd jim
 jim]# ls
nomad-firmware  pe-build  pfd  realplayer-rpm

To recover data from systems previously on LVM, I hope this helps out.

Jim

--
Computers don't actually think.
	You just think they think.