chmod a-x chmod Fix?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 14:41:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 08:06, Tim wrote:

> > Hmmm, I guess I could make them repeatedly installed Fedore Core --
> > and thereby drive them to hate Linux in general.

> But, I would think that a student destroying the operating system should
> learn the consequences of their actions:  Fix it up, learn to do it
> properly (whatever it was that they did wrong), and hopefully they'll
> learn to be more careful next time.

If you install fedora, you should know how to boot the install
CD with 'linux rescue' at the boot prompt to repair it.  Learn
to appreciate the foresight of the distribution packagers.  This
case is trivial, but if you know how to run fdisk/mkfs/mount
and a few other tools by hand and have a suitable backup copy
you can reassemble the bits on your disk into a working system
regardless of what went wrong.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com