disk failure with swap RAID-0

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Fri Jan 6 14:38:07 UTC 2006

    In installing Fedora Core 4 on a new workstation here, the owner of
the machine decided he wanted RAID-1 on all of his partitions except for
the swap which he set up as RAID-0 across the two drives. I pointed out
that this would make the machine fault intolerant since it will likely
crash if half the swap disappears with a drive failure. He doesn't mind
that but I am still concerned about the recovery from such a drive failure.
Does anyone know what sequence you would have to go through to recover
in such a situation? Specifically is there a way to boot linux with the
swap disabled for that particular boot? Otherwise I would imagine I'd have
to use a linux rescue cd to edit the fstab on the remaining drive and
change the swap back to a single partition on a single drive. Thanks in
advance for any clarifications on this issue.
          Jack