chmod a-x chmod Fix?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Jan 6 14:56:30 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

> Or use perl.
> perldoc -f chmod
> for instructions. (But students that have root access should know
> this...)

Good fix but if knowing perl is a requirement for getting root then many
good people would have to hand back the keys :-)  I found PHP really
useful to know for both cli scripting and webpages, shockingly useful
considering I was previously a C++ man who sneered at garbage collection
wimps :-)

Another way to fix this should AIUI have been

cd /bin
tar czf student-antidote.tar.gz chmod

on another box and then, after scp-ing the tarball to the scene of the
crime:

cd /bin
tar zxf student-antidote.tar.gz

on the bad box.