Speeding Up Java Graphics (JVM)

Arturo Alejandro Hoffstadt Urrutia ahoffsta at alumnos.inf.utfsm.cl
Fri Jan 6 15:19:15 UTC 2006

El Jueves, 5 de Enero de 2006 16:49, Brian D. McGrew escribió:
> I know this is the Fedora, not Java list; but I'm not getting any help
> over there!
>
> Speaking from a hardware standpoint, we distribute our systems on Dell
> PowerEdge 1800 Server machines and we're limited (by our own hardware)
> to 512MB RAM.  It stands to reason that these machines don't have very
> beefy graphics support in them.  Low end nVidia or ATI chipsets at best!
>
> We're doing some work in Java, running under Sun's JVM and driving the
> graphics card with images while the CPU is at a decent load.  As our
> images grow in size the drawing slows down.  The 640x480 stuff is good,
> the 1280x1280 stuff is alright but the 2048x2048 is unusable.
>
> >From a hardware / (operating system) software standpoint, what would you
>
> do to speed things up?  I can't add memory; we don't have any open slots
> to add in another graphics card and using a workstation model machine
> with better graphics isn't a choice either.

I don't know what kind of rendering are you doing... If it is realtime 3D, 2D,
o even raytracing, so far...

With realtime 3D (jogl, o java3d), you can speed things up by using specials
data structures: Octrees. These data structures, are specially designed to do
cut ups and clippings of 3d spaces to only draw what fits on the viewport,
and nothing else. Believe, when you have a big scene, clipping up can really
boost things up... But there are quite a headache when you are starting with
them.

For 2D, these are known as quadtrees, but you can only use binary space
partition.

But these are software coding solutions... I don't know if these are useful to
you...

--
Arturo Alejandro Hoffstadt Urrutia
Estudiante Ingenieria Civil Informática
ahoffsta at alumnos.inf.utfsm.cl
"La Magia existe, solo debes buscar mejor"