"at"

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sat Jan 7 13:34:50 UTC 2006

Peter Lesterhuis wrote:

> I want to start an app at a certain time, say 2 hours from now. For
> instance xmms, oowriter or mplayer. I can't make this happen when I use
> "at".
> When I type a shell-command like "cp" using "at", then it works.
> In the documentation I cannot find any limitations of launching apps
> with "at". Is it an authorization problem (launching x-based apps?).
> On the other hand mplayer won't start either.
> I'm aware this is not a typical question for this list, but I don know
> where else to put my question.

Seems that 'at' mails you the stdout from the process, if nothing is
shown there try appending 2>&1 to the end of the command you are giving
to 'at' to see if stderr has any better diagnostic.

Maybe also the result of echo $PATH, echo $DISPLAY and so on from inside
the 'at' execution environment might help point the way.

-Andy