kino, is it working ?

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Sat Jan 7 18:06:13 UTC 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 16:42, Claude Jones wrote:
> I, too, am watching your travails with interest. I'm a video editor with a
> full fledged production studio and hope to be able to use Linux as my main
> workstation in the next two years, before the full transition to HD becomes
> mandatory/necessary. Please post any successes you have. I can't offer any
> suggestions. I currently have Kino, Cinelerra, and Jahshaka running on my
> FC4 boxes, but was never able to get kdenlive to run. But, I'm not on a 64
> box... I am thoroughly tired of the endless amounts of money we have to
> spend on "W" software, so I watch these projects with interest.

Well, after trying for a whole day to get kino working on FC4 (both i386 and
x86_64). I tried all versions I could get via smart (0.7.6 & 0.8). None of
them work on my two systems.
I have checked all dependencies and smart is complaining about nothing.
I can't get kino 0.8 to capture on 64bit, I could one time get it to capture
using the i386 binary, but now that also doesn't work. I get a freezing
window using the 64bit binary (but also when I compiled my own version of
kino from current cvs). I get a crashing kino when I use the i386 version and
try to stop the capture.
After trying so many things, I feel that this is either a very buggy
application (but I had this running very well on FC3) or FC4 has some libs
totally messed up.Either way, I'm stuck with having no application to capture
my tapes besides dvgrab which is hardly the way to go for the desktop user.

Some people have reported that it works fine on Suse. Some people even tell me
it works (sort of) on FC4, but I guess that on my fully up-to-date FC4 it's
simply a no-go for some reason.

regards,
Marcel